Estrogen is commonly referred to as a “female hormone,” but this is a misnomer because this steroid hormone is produced in both male and female bodies. It’s also true that women produce far more estrogen than men, just as men produce roughly 10 times the amount of testosterone that women do.
Men’s higher testosterone levels are frequently cited as the reason for their ability to gain muscle mass faster than women. Recent studies, on the other hand, show that despite producing negligible amounts of testosterone while weight training, women can achieve similar muscle gains as men. That has to do with the fact that anabolic hormones released during exercise don’t have as much of an impact on muscle growth as previously thought.
Estrogen’s Role in Bodybuilding
Bodybuilders despise the word estrogen. The hormone has been linked to an increase in subcutaneous body fat and water retention. Gynecomastia is a female-type breast development that occurs in male bodybuilders who use anabolic steroids that convert to estrogen. They often use drugs that stop estrogen from getting into cells, like Nolvadex, or drugs that stop the enzymes that make androgens into estrogen, called aromatase blockers, to keep this and other estrogen-related effects from happening. Some bodybuilders are so afraid of estrogen that they take anti-estrogen drugs all year, assuming they are harmless.
Many bodybuilders are unaware of the crucial role estrogen plays in muscle growth and training. When women exercise, they experience less muscle damage, which is attributed to estrogen, which acts as an anti-inflammatory during exercise. When women exercise, they burn more fat than men, though this isn’t as noticeable because most women have higher bodyfat levels than men. The reason for this is that women produce more growth hormone, which helps to mobilize fat. Women also do not respond to carbohydrate loading techniques, which is thought to be due to their higher estrogen levels.
Bodybuilders have long been told that a certain amount of estrogen is required to maintain androgen cell receptors, which interact with testosterone to produce anabolic effects in muscle. Recent research, on the other hand, suggests that estrogens may play an even more direct role in muscle development.
What is Aromatization?
In terms of bodybuilding, aromatization is all about how your body reacts to having more estrogen in your body. This is why many bodybuilders take anti-estrogen pills for bodybuilding.
There is a process called aromatization that turns testosterone into estrogen. That process is normal. Every anabolic steroid that is made is a form of testosterone that is meant to make men more attractive both sexually and physically.
It is natural for testosterone to turn into estrogen, but many bodybuilders don’t like the idea of their testosterone levels turning into estrogen. As long as men aren’t growing breast tissue, estrogen is not bad.
There is a lot of estrogen in males, which is why we say it isn’t so bad. Too much of it is bad.
Should I Take Estrogen Blockers?
Estrogen blockers aid in increasing testosterone levels, which is one of the primary reasons for their use. For those of you who aren’t familiar with testosterone, it’s the male hormone that is responsible for promoting muscle growth; improving mood and energy; and increasing sex drive. As a result, when you have a healthy level of testosterone in your body, you’ll be able to perform at a high level.
Bodybuilders should also take estrogen blockers because of the positive impact they have on their cardiovascular health. Since this is the case, working out vigorously will not cause you to become out of breath, allowing you to build the muscular arms you’ve always wanted!
In a nutshell, steroids have been shown to raise estrogen levels in the body. Taking estrogen-blocking supplements can help bodybuilders avoid the effects of estrogen overdose, such as weight gain and bloating.
Best Estrogen Blocker For Bodybuilding
Estrogen blockers are drugs that cut down on either the production or the effects of estrogen in your body. Some of them are:
- Arimidex – Arimidex is used to treat breast cancer in women. A natural hormone called estrogen causes some breast cancers to grow more quickly. Arimidex reduces the amount of estrogen produced by the body, which helps to slow or stop the progression of these breast cancers.
- Aromasin – Aromasin is a prescription drug with a brand name. The FDA has approved it for the treatment of certain types of breast cancer. Exemestane is the active ingredient in Aromasin. Aromasin is an aromatase inhibitor, which is a type of endocrine therapy (also known as hormone therapy). Aromasin decreases estrogen in the body, giving certain cancers less fuel to grow when estrogen levels are low.
- Cytadren – Cytadren affects the adrenal cortex, which is a part of the body. It has an impact on steroid production as well as other side effects. Cytadren is a drug that is used to treat tumors of the adrenal cortex. It’s also used in cases where the adrenal cortex is overactive but not cancerous. Cytadren can also be used to treat a variety of other conditions as determined by your doctor.
- Nolvadex – Nolvadex is a medication that is used to treat breast cancer. It’s also used to lower the risk of breast cancer in patients who are at high risk of the disease. This medication has the ability to slow the progression of breast cancer. It works by preventing estrogen from acting on the breast tissue.
- Clomid – Clomiphene citrate is another name for Clomid. It’s an oral medication that’s commonly used to treat infertility in women. Clomid works by tricking your body into thinking your estrogen levels are lower than they are, causing your pituitary gland to secrete more follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). FSH stimulates the ovary to produce an egg follicle, or multiple follicles, which develop and release during ovulation. Ovulation is stimulated by high levels of LH. Clomid is frequently prescribed by primary care physicians or OB-GYNs before referring a couple to a fertility specialist for further treatment. Clomid is also prescribed by some reproductive specialists.
Most of these drugs were made to fight breast cancer because estrogens can be bad for women’s breast tissue. They work very well. In some cases, they can cut estrogen levels by 90% or more.
In order for estrogen-blocking drugs to work, they have to suppress natural estrogen production or make the estrogen that’s been naturally produced have less effects in the body.
By blocking this enzyme, many estrogen blockers reduce the amount of testosterone that is transformed into estrogen.
Some also prevent the cell receptors from receiving estrogen, allowing it to circulate aimlessly in your body before being excreted.
See also Letrozole for Fertility: Benefits, Side Effects, and More
Are Estrogen Blockers Safe?
Estrogen blockers have been shown to be safe when used for short periods of time (a few months), but there is evidence that long-term use can cause health problems.
These drugs, for example, have been shown to increase the risk of bone demineralization and fracture, osteoporosis and joint pain, and increased risk of heart disease and stroke, among other things.
Hot flashes, constipation, vertigo, skin itching, nausea, and depression are all known side effects of estrogen blockers, too.
It’s worth noting, however, that the majority of the human research on these drugs has been done on women who are battling breast cancer, so we might not see the same results in healthy people.
If you take estrogen blockers in high doses, you can almost certainly expect to experience some negative side effects. Artificially increasing estrogen levels, like artificially decreasing estrogen levels, would disrupt your physiology to some degree. However, there is also a ton of anecdotal evidence that suggests the use of estrogen blockers is generally safe when used in small doses.
When you’re a bodybuilder, it’s only natural that you’ll have to stay fit and healthy on the inside. You don’t have to be concerned if you’re looking for alternatives to estrogen blockers to keep your estrogen levels in check. This is due to the fact that there are numerous options.
One of the first methods is to exercise consistently throughout the week. In addition to other exercises, weight lifting can have a positive effect on your hormones.
Another way to do so is to maintain a healthy diet. Your diet should provide enough nutrients to keep your hormones in check. Furthermore, eating well will make you feel and appear lighter and healthier!
Estrogen blockers, without a doubt, can greatly assist bodybuilders by lowering estrogen levels and increasing testosterone levels. This, in turn, will benefit you in terms of gaining mass and possibly even achieving the body of your dreams!
See also Post Cycle Therapy: What to Expect After a Steroid Cycle?